Saturday, December 25, 2010

Common Sense Sometimes Wins the Day

I thought that perhaps I ought to simply refer you all to an article that I found in one of my networking groups that has such clarity and wisdom that I thought I ought to just pass it on and give the author, John DeGroote, the credit he deserves. John's article is called 'Insurance Coverage: 4 Rules and 10 Tips for Policyholders'. It appears in his blog called, approrpriately enough, 'Settlement Perspectives' (December 15). As long as I am giving him full credit, he acknowledges in his blog post that the concepts for the article came from a longer article that he co-authored called 'Bet the Company Litigation from a Policyholder's Perspective' that appearred in the ACC Docket put out by the Association of Corporate Counsel.

Now that I have complied with all of my fair use copyright and attribution obligations, let me just say that the article sounds so much like common sense that you might ask yourself how could anyone think otherwise? But it happens all of the time. Just look at John's tip #3: I can't tell you how often it is that companies fail to give notice often enough: either of 'circumstances' (as some policies require), let alone of an actual claim. His practical tips are truly worthy of deep consideration.

I think you will find John's post, and the article from which it comes, worthwhile reading.