Sunday, December 26, 2010

Ask Laura: should I wait until after the spay or neuter to insure my dog?

I thought I'd talk about a question we get all the time about our discounts (yay for discounts!)


Winston puppy Question: I want to sign my puppy up, but she has not been spayed or microchipped. Am I going to get the discount? When will it apply? Am I going to have to submit a lot of documents? Should I just wait to sign up until after these are done?


Answer:


First of all, no, do not wait to get the insurance! Puppies are much more likely to have accidents (not just the puddle on the floor kind) or become ill than a slightly older dog - but you probably worked that out already!


If you get the insurance as soon as possible, you can avoid any uninsured conditions popping up that aren't covered.


As an aside, we recently paid out over $4,000 for a six month old Bernese Mountain Dog, Monkey, who had infectious gasterenteritis. The costs were enormous and very unexpected, making the insurance a relief at a very difficult and emotional time. It was just as well they hadn't waited for Monkey to be neutered before insuring him.


But back to the rest of the question.


We'll add both the spay/neuter and microchip discounts to your Embrace policy as soon as she has been spayed and/or microchipped. Simply call in (800-511-9172) or email us at hello@embracepetinsurance.com and let us know the microchip number and when the spay was complete. We will update your policy with the discount as soon as you contact us and it will go into effect the next day.


The process applies for pet parents that have paid annually as well as monthly - we'll just give you some of your premium back for the remainder of the prepaid year.


Good to know?