Sunday, December 26, 2010

September is Senior Pet Month at Embrace Pet Insurance

Olive dachshund This month, we'll be talking about the special health needs of senior cats and dogs.


We're all getting older and I don't know about you but I've noticed a few aging signs: my skin is not as pliant as it used to be (OK, I've got a few wrinkles); it takes longer for cuts to heal (gawd, I remember my grandmother moaning about that one); and the stairs seem a little longer these days.


We may not realize it but our pets also feel older as they age too. Arthritis can kick in, naps seem to take longer, and there might be less bounce in that walk. You may not notice gradual change but your pets certainly do.


Barnes with Fetching Tag My elder cat, Barnes, was spritely right to the end, but as with many elder male cats, he had kidney disease that I only found out about because he had an 'incident' that resulted him being in the Veterinary Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania for 3 days. We were able to stabilize him after that with diet and hydration and he lasted a good 6 years after that. If only I'd known though to do regular blood work, which probably would have alerted me to the issue before it got out of hand.


So a recommendation from one pet parent to another - get routine blood work done every 6 months if you can, every year at least. Think of the money spent as an investment in early warning so you can treat early and effectively for a longer and healthier life for your pet.