Sunday, December 5, 2010

Fund me For my Fun!

Sometimes, friends send me emails like this:
I'm supporting Disability Snowsport UK. DSUK is a people-centred organisation with a unique sense of purpose: that anyone regardless of their disability can take part in and enjoy the thrill of snowsport. For nearly 30 years we have applied exceptional know-how and adaptability to enable those with a disability to experience the joy of skiing alongside the able-bodied. We provide exciting and life enhancing activities for individuals or groups who require adaptive equipment and/or special instruction and support.

Please go to xxx to see my fundraising page and sponsor me online.

Kind regards

ZZZ
And I don't like it. In short, I think it's abusing personal relations for non-personal interests. It is non-personal as the personal relationship between my friend and me doesn't play a role here. It's a mass eMail and I'm among the recipients because I'm in his address book and not because he thought especially about me that I might want to help. In this case, he would have written a personal email with a personal message. And this would make a difference.

Often charity fund-raising is coupled with some activity like running (a marathon). In Boston, for example, one can participate in the Jimmy Marathon Challenge if one raises more than 3,000 US$. So, my friends are supposed to fund me such that I can have fun running the marathon. Now, I've started seeing announcements from organizations who offer free multi-day hikes or cycle trips if one raises at least some thousands of dollars. At least, this is more explicit but still very strange. The company pays a nice journey for me while I ask my friends to donate money. Why do I need to receive anything? Obviously, I'm not doing this only for the purpose of raising fund for the organization. I need more incentives. Giving a salary would probably decrease the donations of my friends. I would not even ask my friends for donation since it would be an apparent abuse of my friendship for my professional purposes. I claim that offering a journey is nothing else than a salary but tries to hide the self-reward.

And the irony: Above eMail is my 'template' from Virgin Money Giving as I participate in the Santa Run on Saturday, 4th Dec., at 10am in Battersea Park in London. So, whoever wants to see me running in a St. Claus costume: come and cheer! And - no, I'm not asking for any donations! In fact, I just accidentally joined since some colleagues at Imperial asked for running support - and I didn't realize that I was supposed to raise donations while I thought that companies would sponsor us... Though, it still feels a little hypocritical...