Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Book Review: “Outgrowing God” by Alan Jeskin


Alan Jeskin’s “Outgrowing God” will keep you in page-turning mode from the minute you pick it up until you are done. If you get the Kindle edition, your battery will run down before you are ready to put the book to rest. Jeskin, a decorated Navy officer and son of Liberian immigrants, offers up his transition from theist to deist to atheist in a format that takes his readers from his own evolution to atheism to a critical look at the bible and then moves us on to the broken promises that religion offers, ending with his unique outlook for moving beyond religion and finally, outgrowing god. One of the many aspects that I like about this book, and the primary reason it is on my recommended reading list, remains Jeskin’s “testimonial” style of writing. There are many books on the market that offer good information for the skeptic, and this one is no exception, as it has a very helpful and insightful appendix. However, Jeskin’s take on how religion has effected his life, profession, relationships and his eventual acceptance of reason over religion is something that we all can identify with ona personal level. Alan identifies atheism in a way that I have not heard since picking up his book, and his definition is worthy of quoting, and I shall do so here:


“I personally view atheism as evidence of an uncommon capacity for rational thought that is uncorrupted by superstition, religious indoctrination and dogma”


Jeskin’s book is well-researched, well-written and has been well-received by everyone who reads it, and for good reason. I have my copy nestled in my bookshelf next to Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, Dennet and Stenger and I use it often in my research for the articles I write. I strongly suggest that you make it a point to add this to your reading list. You will not be disappointed.