The word 'tsunami' is derived from the Japanese language, and translated as "harbor wave." Tsunami used to be called 'tidal waves', but that term has shifted its use by scientists.
1. Consists of a series of tsunami waves, known as the wave train, not a single wave. To a large tsunami, all of a sudden this wave and the first is not always the biggest.
2. Most tsunamis are caused by undersea earthquakes. 8.0 magnitude earthquake as the cause of the disaster Samoa, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. An earthquake can cause tsunamis if they have enough strength in depth and adequate water.
3. About 80 percent of all tsunamis occur in the Pacific Ocean.
4. Undersea earthquake theory behind the tsunami was first put forward by the ancient Greek historian Thucydides, in the year 426 BC, in his book "History of the Peloponnesian War."
5. Volcanic eruptions, major landslides, meteorite impacts and underwater nuclear explosions can also cause tsunamis, as well as tropical cyclones or other weather conditions. A tsunami caused by the storm known as the 'destruction of Burma meteotsunami'seperti event in 2008.
6. Regardless of the size of a big wave when they hit the ground, the amplitude (wave height) from the tsunami at least three meters in the open sea, while the wavelength (the distance between two peaks) along the 120 miles. At this point the Tsunami will reach speeds over 500 mph.
7. When the tsunami reaches shallow water, wave decreases and makes the short wavelength, but the amplitude is higher. Waves then slowed down, although he still has the speed around 50 mph.
8. Predicting the tsunami is imminent is impossible. In some cases, warnings of nature can be seen at the time of water along the coast suddenly receded, in a phenomenon called drawback. This occurs when a trench tsunami waves reach the ground before mounting.
9. A 10-year-old British girl, Tilly Smith had saved nearly a hundred people with knowledge of the eve of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.
10. He had learned about the drawback in geography lessons and warned his family and then chain to others. He was a speech at the United Nations and the opportunity to have an asteroid named 20002 Tillysmith.