Wednesday, November 3, 2010

True Passion

It's been awhile since I've done this, but I felt like I wanted to link to my post today at Communitas Collective. It's about passion. Here's an excerpt:

A familiar quote that has been increasing in popularity in recent years comes from one Dr. Howard Thurman:

“Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”

I was leading a men’s study group when I came across this quote (like many other men who were reading John Eldredge’s Wild at Heart), and looking back, I can see how it has radically altered my thinking. Up to that point, as a pastor and worship leader, I had been living my life the exact opposite way–trying to figure out what the world needs, trying to meet the challenge, and if necessary, putting my own passions aside for the sake of a higher call. What I didn’t realize then, but now believe to be true, is that God puts those deep passions and desires into our souls for a reason–because that is the place from which we are to live.

Read the rest here.