Friday, November 26, 2010

Support for carergivers for diabetic cats and dogs

As part of Diabetes Month at Embrace, I put out a request for stories from pet parents with diabetic cats and dogs and here's one that I 'd like to share with you from Janice:


Patty's baby I had a cat who was diabetic for 6 years and right after he passed my Mini Schnauzer, Buddy, was diagnosed. He was 5 and lived with the diabetes for 7 years before other medical issues became too great.


There are great resources out there to manage it. I personally belong to a small Yahoo group of people very knowledgeable in managing the disease thru diet and home blood testing. Even though I don't currently have a diabetic pet I would not shy away from an animal with that disease as it is not a death sentence any more.


I took a look for the Yahoo Group Janice mentioned - diabeticcritters - but couldn't find it. I did find a few others including Pet Diabetes that might be helpful.


Do you have any resources you suggest to others with diabetic pets that you have found helpful?